PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

3.1 Admin Bar Menu

1. Do you have any plans to add a menu or even just an "edit form" link for the 3.1 Admin Bar?

Posted 13 years ago on Friday February 25, 2011 | Permalink
  2. We haven't discussed it yet. There is already an "edit form" link on the form itself if you're logged in as an admin so it's kind of redundant to add it there as well.

3. Yes, we are considering adding options to the new admin bar. We just haven't decided what they may be yet. If you have any suggestions let us know.

At a minimum we will probably add "Form" under the "Add New" drop down int he admin bar. We have to be careful about adding main navigation items to the admin menu bar because if all plugins start doing that it is going to get out of hand... only so much horizontal space.

4. Well, we've been developing our particular site with 3.1 in mind, so we actually went without edit post/page links in the body in favor of the admin bar. Having it there under the form is a little out of place for us. Maybe an option for where to display an edit form link (one or both)? That way it can be turned off for the admin bar if there isn't enough horizontal space (or rather turned on by people who care about it).

I personally am only really looking for the edit form part, but I could see how having the "Add New" option would be a good one as well, especially since that menu is already there. It might also be neat to have the edit form link actually be a menu with editing notifications and viewing entries also in there. Might also be overkill, who knows.

It'd be really unfortunate to see plugins all start adding items without a way to opt out. As it is, I often find myself using a function to remove the comments menu because I'm in CMS-land. Gravity Forms is a great plugin, though - totally deserving of an admin bar menu item.

5. I didn't even notice the Edit Post appears if you are viewing a specific post. That is a good idea. I'll have to see if it's possible. It might not work as well simply because a page/post could contain multiple forms... so which do you edit? So there are definitely questions and scenarios that have to be worked out. That is part of the reason why we didn't rush to incorporate some sort of Admin Bar integration in the upcoming 1.5 release, we want to make sure whatever we implement is useful.

6. Ah I hadn't thought about people putting multiple forms on a page - so many different use cases out there! Well, if in the future you do find a good way to include something in the admin bar, it'd be greatly appreciated.