I received the form from Casey and installed it in my site. I had trouble with it there. I think the problem was related to not having the Tribulant newsletter and the related add on. That adds a new field type to the form, and I did not have that. So, I logged in to your site.
I first checked the user registration feed. Or, I tried to. Here is a screenshot of that page. Not sure why it's like this: http://minus.com/l33XCZQwh4Clj
So, I skipped this step. I was not able to successfully submit your form from the form preview. I copied form 2 to form 3, and I was able to successfully submit that, twice. There is no user registration feed mapped for this form, but because this form works correctly, I suspect it's in the configuration of the feed. Please try remapping the form fields for form 2 to a new feed, and delete the old one, and see if that fixes anything.
If that does not work, I would start by disabling the Tribulant newsletter plugin or just removing that field from the form to see if that is causing a problem.
Posted 7 years ago on Thursday March 7, 2013 | Permalink