PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Yahoo Hosting and mysql 4.1.14

1. My site is hosted on Yahoo Servers and the newest version of mysql is 4.1.14. Will the Gravity forms plugin work with that version? I know you state mysql 5+, the tech suggested contacting you as he says some plugins work fine with earlier versions of mysql.

Posted 13 years ago on Tuesday July 27, 2010 | Permalink
  2. We know some users do use Gravity Forms on MySQL4 despite the fact we officially support MySQL5+.

A bigger issue with Yahoo's hosting is the fact that they only support PHP4. Have they changed this? Do they support PHP5 now?

Just so you are aware WordPress is moving towards REQUIRING both PHP5 and MySQL5 so if your host doesn't support it... you may want to consider changing hosts. After WordPress 3.1 is released, WordPress will require MySQL5+ and after WordPress 3.2 is released, PHP5 will be required.

Details are here:

http://wordpress.org/news/2010/07/eol-for-php4-and-mysql4/

So if your host doesn't support MySQL5+ and PHP5+ it's time to change hosts.

You may want to let them know that. Any host not supporting these minimum requirements are going to see a flood of customers canceling their accounts and moving elsewhere.

3. Thanks Carl for responding so quickly.

They are in the process of upgrading the server to PHP5. So are you saying that it might work with MySQL 4.1.14?

I will have to take into account the version info you supplied about wordpress. Change will have to come sooner or later, good to be prepared and have a reason to do so.

4. We do know some people are using it on MySQL4. It works as far as I know, but we don't regularly test new releases on MySQL4.

5. The Gravity Form is the perfect solution for my needs. I'd like to try it as soon as the server is upgraded to PHP5, but if it doesn't work will I be able to get a refund?

6. If more people leave Yahoo due to their lack of support for PHP5, maybe they will finally upgrade to PHP5. I know they are slow to upgrade, but PHP4 was released in July 2004.

If I were you, I would seriously consider a new host before I would wait for them to upgrade. Before you know it, WordPress won't run on PHP4 any more anyway, or MySQL4 for that matter. They already bumped the minimum MySQL4 version in 2.9.2.