PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

1.5 Beta Questions

1. Starting to build a quote tool related to ordering food and loving the experience so far. I have a number of questions that probably aren't bugs as much as clarification on scope / functionality offered with this release.

1. Why can there only be one total field?
    2. If I wanted to represent a few different sub-totals (base product, options, etc) what would you recommend?
    3. If I want to display the total on each page of a multi-page form how would I do it?
    4. Is it possible to have total be a dynamically populated field to address scenarios where the default quantity * product + options doesn't fit?
    5. Documentation: What hooks are available for each field type to work with?
    6. In an option drop-down which does not have enable values selected, when attempting to modify a selection in the drop-down, the currently selected item does not show the associated cost. Intentional behaviour or bug?
    7. Is there a way to have it that when adding new fields to a form they come in somewhere near the portion of the form I'm currently at? Mega-scrolling involved if adding to the middle of a multi-page form. Group select or something?
    8. Can an update form button be added to the bottom of the floating add fields menu?
    9. For multi-page progress indicator in step mode, is it possible to have previous page identifiers as links so that user can jump back. Or perhaps as a separate option style from the one currently setup to meet more use case needs.
    10. How to pre-select a drop-down quantity field? I've set the dynamic population variable name as numLayers. Not sure if being a multi-page format is related or not. Tested with an email field type doing pre-population and no issue.
    Posted 13 years ago on Sunday November 14, 2010 | Permalink
  2. Q. If I wanted to represent a few different sub-totals (base product, options, etc) what would you recommend?
    A. Our total field is designed to be simple and for 1.5 it won't support subtotals. The only way I can see this working is via a custom jQuery library.

Q. If I want to display the total on each page of a multi-page form how would I do it?
    A. This is currently not supported, but it is a very good idea. I will talk to the team and see if it is something we should add for 1.5

Q. Is it possible to have total be a dynamically populated field to address scenarios where the default quantity * product + options doesn't fit?
    A. No, you would have to write custom jQuery to accomplish that.

Q. Documentation: What hooks are available for each field type to work with?
    A. We don't have any field specific hook. The main filter that is used to change the way the form is displayed is the "gform_pre_render" filter. It allows you to manipulate the form object (add/remove/change field properties) before the form is displayed.
    Following is an example of how to use this filter
    http://pastie.org/1299753

Q. In an option drop-down which does not have enable values selected, when attempting to modify a selection in the drop-down, the currently selected item does not show the associated cost. Intentional behaviour or bug?
    A. The cost displayed in the drop down is not the item's price, but how much it will add/subtract from the total if selected.

Q. Is there a way to have it that when adding new fields to a form they come in somewhere near the portion of the form I'm currently at? Mega-scrolling involved if adding to the middle of a multi-page form. Group select or something?
    A. No, there is no way to this right now. We may need to come up with something better now that we support multi-page forms, but meanwhile "mega-scrolling" is the only option.

Q. Can an update form button be added to the bottom of the floating add fields menu?
    A. This is something we will add soon. I am not sure it will make it into 1.5, but we have talked about that several times. It is coming...

Q. For multi-page progress indicator in step mode, is it possible to have previous page identifiers as links so that user can jump back. Or perhaps as a separate option style from the one currently setup to meet more use case needs.
    A. Good idea. We may add that as another progress bar type, but it will probably not make it into 1.5. An alternative is to use a HTML block with some javascript and build a custom progress bar.

Q. How to pre-select a drop-down quantity field? I've set the dynamic population variable name as numLayers. Not sure if being a multi-page format is related or not. Tested with an email field type doing pre-population and no issue.
    A. It should work as any other field. I have done a quick test and did not have any problems with it. Are you trying to pass it via the query string?

Posted 13 years ago on Monday November 15, 2010 | Permalink
  3. Thanks for the responses. I am able to make a quantity field pre-populate by querystring, yes. I'm also trying to do the same for checkbox list of options and struggling with the syntax for it. Any additional help would be appreciated.

Q: Is there a way to have a variable (%) priced option instead of a $ value?
    A series of size-based products and the options represent the material involved. The cost for option A on product 1 is different than option A on product 2.

Posted 13 years ago on Monday November 15, 2010 | Permalink