PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

1.5 RC4 - Ajax error, cannot add new items into form

1. I'm testing version 1.5 RC4 on a site running WP 3.0.4, and I cannot add any items to begin building a form. This is happening on both Mac and PC, Firefox and IE do not show any error messages, while trying in Chrome generates a ajax error popup.

Posted 13 years ago on Tuesday February 8, 2011 | Permalink
  2. This could be a PHP Memory related issue. How big is the form? I would suggest increasing your available PHP Memory on your site.

Posted 13 years ago on Tuesday February 8, 2011 | Permalink
  3. Hey Carl, my initial thought was to turn off all the plugins and reactivate them one-by-one. After each activation I test the form, and each time I was able to successfully add a new field. Once all plugins had been reactivated, things appear to be functioning as expected.

That is, until today, I am receiving the same ajax error, as well as the form seemingly getting caught in a never ending cycle as it attempts to save any changes.

The form has roughly 34-35 user editable fields, and about anoth 8-10 static text fields. Our php memory limit is set to 128M, which is already rather high. I also tried switching back to the twenty-ten theme, but it's happening while that is active as well.

I'm running WP 3.0.5 currently. Are there any known issues with this version? I was running 3.0.4 the last time I submitted this error.

Posted 13 years ago on Tuesday February 15, 2011 | Permalink
  4. There aren't any known issues with Gravity Forms or WP 3.0.5 as far as memory goes. How many plugins are you running? The more plugins you are using, the more memory you will need. The more complex the plugin, the more memory you will need. So there isn't any one number as far as available PHP Memory that is safe because every site is different. Our sites, for instance, run fine with the PHP Memory set at 64 MB or even 32 MB. But we aren't running a lot of plugins.

It sounds like on your server, your PHP memory setting is not enough. It could also be you may think your site is set to use 128 PHP Memory but it is really not. Some web servers allow you to change the available PHP memory simply by adding a line to your wp-config.php file. However, some web servers require you make a change to your PHP.ini file AND your wp-config.php file.

Posted 13 years ago on Tuesday February 15, 2011 | Permalink