PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

508 compliance, label association

1. Hi,

A client of mine is asking that I make this form fully 508 compliant: hhs-back2business.com/registration.

The only compliance issue that I haven't been able to fix is "orphaned form label," defined by webaim.org as "A form label is present, but it is not associated with any form <input>, <select>, or <textarea>."

This error exist for all of my radio button fields. The offending code for these fields looks like this:

<label class='gfield_label'>Are you registered in the Central Contractor Registry (CCR)?<span class='gfield_required'>*</span></label>

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Posted 11 years ago on Monday May 7, 2012 | Permalink
  2. We'll check it out and see about revising that for the next release. In the mean time, I'm not sure what I can offer. A jQuery fix would only be a front-end kind of thing and not a true markup change which is what you need.

3. Thanks Kevin. Is there any way to just remove the <label> tags from a form field without breaking the entire thing?

4. Update for anyone who comes upon this in the future:
    I was able to work around this by just using drop-downs instead of radio buttons.

Also, anyone who is interested in ensuring 508 compliance for their website would do well to install the WAVE Toolbar for Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/wave-toolbar/

Extremely handy.

Posted 11 years ago on Monday May 14, 2012 | Permalink
  5. Cool, thanks for posting!

Posted 11 years ago on Monday May 14, 2012 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.