PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

After upgrate to latest in August 28, 2012 I have multiple duplicate entries

1. hellothere03

I have had GF plugin for a year and never had a problem like this. Since I upgraded the WP GF plugin a couple of days ago, I'm getting multiple duplicate notifications of form submissions. This is annoying very much!!! People are not clicking multiple times, since I tested this myself. What can solve this?

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday September 4, 2012 | Permalink
  2. hellothere03

ON all of my forms - the ajax sends the form but does not go into confirmation that the form has been submitted...MAJOR ANNOYANCE!!!!

3. hellothere03

To fix this I needed to turn off AJAX and now it works. But major disappointment for me since I loved this plugin until today. Now I need to be careful before any upgrades.

4. Can you post a link to your site where the form is embedded so we can take a look at it? Thank you.

5. hellothere03

Here is the page I created specifically for you so that you see the ajax is not submitting the form:

http://www.paulangelo.com/testingform/

The code for the page is:

Testing the form ajax submittion.[gravityform id="50" name="Test" ajax="true"]

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday September 5, 2012 | Permalink
  6. hellothere03

if I take out the ajax part - it will work well - when I leave it - it goes submitted but the page stays where it stays....

7. This problem has been reported a few times recently with the upgrade to 1.6.6.

http://www.gravityhelp.com/forums/topic/front-end-user-only-when-clicking-on-the-submit-button-nothing-appens
    http://www.gravityhelp.com/forums/topic/167-not-working

Please check for theme and plugin conflicts as a first step to finding the problem http://rkt.gs/testing

The developers are looking into why this might be happening.

8. hellothere03

Hi Chris,

I wish I could do what you are asking. I have a commercial website and if I have any other problems as I start "testing" to see what caused it - I might spend hours.

This is why I paid for this plugin - so that you do this without me having to do your job. Please see the difference between 1.6.7 and 1.6.6 and see for yourself what you did that may cause javascript or ajax issues.

Please let me know once you resolve this problem. I also gave you the link to my page - please look at the source code and install the plugins that I have so that you can replicate my issue.

Just please dont tell me to test stuff on my production box because you dont feel like looking into the issue yourself. This is an expensive paid plugin and I expect you to figure this out on your own.

Paul

9. First off, calm down.

We have absolutely no control over your web site, so we have no control over the themes and plugins that you have installed and no control over the code within those themes and plugins. The end result is we can only control what Gravity Forms does and we can't prevent other code on your site from interfering and changing Gravity Forms code or code output. So you need to keep this in mind anytime you run into issues with a WordPress theme or plugin.

The issue you have encountered cannot be replicated on our end. This means it's an issue that is only happening on your site. That isn't to say other users can't encounter this same situation, what it means is the issue is being caused by something else on your site that is changing the Gravity Forms behavior at the code level.

We know exactly what the issue is.

The issue is a javascript error that is caused by an ampersand character being escaped when the form is output. This should NOT be happening and it does not happen when we test Gravity Forms locally on a default WordPress install.

Why does this happen with Gravity Forms v1.6.6 and not Gravity Forms v1.6.5? Because the ampersand that is being escaped was part of a code change in Gravity Forms v1.6.6.

But the bottom line is it should NOT be getting escaped and is NOT escaped in a default WordPress install which means code in your theme or another plugin is manipulating and changing core WordPress behavior and causing this javascript error to occur.

What this means is either your theme or another plugin on your site is manipulating shortcode output and escaping the ampersand that is being output in the AJAX related javascript that is output on the page by the shortcode... breaking the jQuery in the process.

This isn't something we can "do our job" and fix without your assistance. The issue is happening on your site and is being caused by your theme or another plugin on your site. It's a code level issue that is happening and therefore not something we can magically fix without first determining what code on your site is producing the problem.

As this is happening at the code level, you have to determine what code is causing the problem.

We can't do this. We don't have access to your site and all we can see is the output, we don't see what is happening behind the scenes at the code level.

What Chris asked you to do is correct. You have to test for theme and plugin conflicts to determine where the conflict is coming from. In order to do this you have to follow the test instructions here: http://rkt.gs/testing

You would follow the instructions and then the end result is you would be able to tell us if it's your theme or another plugin that is causing the issue... this is NOT something we can determine without performing this test. The issue is at the PHP code execution level and not something we can debug and fix just by viewing the front end page.

This is standard debugging procedure when encountering a theme or plugin conflict in WordPress and if you are running your own WordPress site then you need to be comfortable performing procedures such as this because it's key to narrowing down the cause of theme and plugin conflicts.

This isn't something we can do ourselves, unless you provide us with access to your site... in which case we'll be glad to do so.

Without narrowing down which code on your site is causing this issue, we can't determine how to resolve the issue. It's as simple as that.

Frankly you have code on your site that is manipulating and changing core WordPress behavior... which it should not be doing. You should WANT to determine the cause.

I can tell you with about 90% certainty what the cause is... you are using a ThemeForest theme. They are NOTORIOUS for causing problems like this with plugins because most of the theme developers selling on ThemeForest have NO clue what they are doing. It's common for them to manipulate the wp_content output or change shortcode behavior. Changes that should NOT be made.

If you can perform the test and tell us if it's your theme or which plugin is causing it (most likely your theme), we'll be glad to them take a look at the theme code and tell you what the theme is doing wrong that is breaking things.

OR if you can email me a copy of the theme you are using to carl@rocketgenius.com I can install it locally and see if my 90% certainty is correct and if it's the theme and if so what needs to be corrected in your theme.

Bottom line is other code on your site is causing the issue and we are more than happy to work with you on resolving the issue but it's code specific to your site and not something we can replicate locally so you need to be willing to work with us to get to the bottom of it instead of fighting and yelling at us.

10. As a follow up to my post above, we have verified that EVERY user encountering this has been a user running a theme from ThemeForest. So the issue is most definitely a theme conflict caused by poor code in your theme as you are also using a ThemeForest theme.

This is VERY common as ThemeForest themes are NOTORIOUS for causing issues with plugins because their developers typically copy-n-paste code from each other and don't fully understand what they are doing. They just know how to make things look pretty, not how to code properly.

11. Another update... the cause of this issue is the RAW shortcode that seems to be so popular with ThemeForest theme developers who are completely clueless. This code changes core WordPress behavior and negatively impacts your site. It's this code that is causing the javascript error that is causing this problem.

Here's a screenshot of an example of the offending code that came from the "Striking" theme sold by ThemeForest:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/185347/Slingshot/Pictures/Screen%20Shot%202012-09-05%20at%203.54.41%20PM.png

This code causes the javascript error when AJAX is enabled because it changes default WordPress behavior. By default WordPress does NOT auto-format shortcode output. This code changes this behavior and tells WordPress to auto-format ALL shortcode output. The end result is Gravity Forms does not behave the way it is designed and a javascript error is caused.

Unfortunately due to the way WordPress works there is nothing we can do to prevent conflicts such as this from happening. We can't control what a theme does and can't prevent it (or another plugin) from breaking functionality or changing core WordPress behavior.

All we can do is help users who encounter these issues as they come up. It's too bad we are the ones that end up having to provide you with support when ultimately the cause of the problem is a theme developer who doesn't know what they are doing.

I don't have a copy of your theme but I can tell you with 99.999% certainty that your theme has the same code in place and that is the cause of the problem.

12. We have released Gravity Forms v1.6.7 which implements a work around for this ThemeForest theme issue. As mentioned above, this issue is caused by poorly developed ThemeForest themes that incorporate code that changes core WordPress behavior.

If you are encountering this issue, update to Gravity Forms v1.6.7 and it should resolve the issue. Be sure to refresh your browser cache after doing so.

If you encounter this issue after updating, create a new support forum post and report your issue as it's probably unrelated to the issue above.

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.