PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Calculated 100% negative charge not being recognized

1. I have created a form with several fields that accumulate to a total charge, which is passed on to PayPal. This works fine. But I would like to supply some customers with a discount code to enter in a discount code field that results in zero charge, because they are being invoiced offline.

So I have a discount code field and a product field with a calculated negative amount (adding up all the other charges and multiplying by -1), with conditional logic only to turn this on when the correct discount code appears in the discount code field. I have disabled the quantity field. The calculation formula is:
    ( {Would you like a standard vendor sponsorship or a Premium Vendor Sponsorship? :14} + {How many 10' x 10' spaces would you like?:15} +{Do you need electricity:8} +{Do you need to rent tents from us?:9} + {Do you need to rent tables and chairs from us?:10} ) * ( -1 )

When the form is filled in, this field is calculating and showing a negative value that equals the total of the fields with charges, and thus, a zero net charge. But, when clicking Submit, the form goes to PayPal and charges the full amount without the calculated discount. I would like instead for Submit to complete the process because the resulting charge should be zero.

When I change the formula to leave out one of the values, then the calculation produces a net positive price, and this is reflected correctly on PayPal. For example if I delete the tables and chairs value from the formula, PayPal shows all the charges, a discount for everything but the tables and chairs, and a net charge for just the tables and chairs.

So, how can I get a 100% discount to work in this situation?

(Temporary URL: http://www.slowlivingsummit.org/soth/slow-living-expo-registration/
    Throwaway discount code TESTING123)

Posted 11 years ago on Monday December 3, 2012 | Permalink
  2. I don't think you can send a negative value to PayPal. If you make the total $0, Gravity Forms will not send the transaction to PayPal. Is that what you are looking for? You could store your actual total in a hidden field if you need the number to process it offline.

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday December 4, 2012 | Permalink
  3. Say I have charges from several products that add up to $408. If the correct discount code is present, the calculated field described generates, and shows in red a negative charge of $408, so the overall transaction is zero. Yet upon "Submit" the form still goes to PayPal, but for the full $408. So how do I make the total zero and prevent it from sending to PayPal?

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday December 5, 2012 | Permalink