PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Cannot Add Fields

  1. I can't seem to add fields to existing forms or new forms.

    I've tried disabling all other plugins, with no luck as well. When I click on the Fields nothing seems to happen. Tried using FF, IE and Chrome.

    I'm running:
    wordpress 3.4.2
    GravigyForms 1.6.7

    Link to one of two forms: http://www.nordvikmanor.com/reservations/

    Posted 7 years ago on Thursday September 20, 2012 | Permalink
  2. I'm having the same problem. I also cannot create a new form. I can however update existing forms.
    This doesn't seem to be a plug in conflict as I deactivated all but gravity forms and it still didn't work. I also tried increasing memory to word press to match the maximum php memory allowed by 1and1 (90MB)

    Posted 7 years ago on Thursday September 20, 2012 | Permalink
  3. David Peralty
    Administrator

    Have you both tried the Twenty Eleven theme to make sure it isn't a theme conflict? Some themes add JavaScript to the Admin panel, causing issues with being able to manage forms. Also, we recommend more memory than 90MB, you might want to talk to 1and1 about this.

    Lastly, ask your host to check for errors in your PHP log to see if there is something happening that could be causing an issue.

    Please confirm you've gone through all of these steps -
    http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/page/Testing_for_a_Theme/Plugin_Conflict

    Posted 7 years ago on Friday September 21, 2012 | Permalink
  4. I found the solution, here is what happened:
    Somehow the permissions on the wordpress file admin-ajax.php were changed to write only.

    Once I set them to public read only everything worked as usual.

    reubenjlau, check and see if any other ajax powered plug-ins are misbehaving.

    Posted 7 years ago on Friday September 21, 2012 | Permalink
  5. Thanks for the response. My current admin-ajax.php permissions are 644, should they be something else?

    David, I tried switching to the Twenty-Eleven theme, with no luck as well.

    Posted 7 years ago on Friday September 21, 2012 | Permalink
  6. I get the following Firefox error dialogue when clicking on multiple fields than hitting "update form": "Ajax Error while adding Field"

    I also called the web host and no errors were logged, and the memory limit is well above 90MB.

    I also tried the below with no luck:
    - downloading the latest gravity forms and replacing within the plugins folder
    - disabled all plugins, then enabled gravityforms only
    - running twentyeleven theme

    Posted 7 years ago on Friday September 21, 2012 | Permalink
  7. Having a problem, gravity forms has been fine for ages.

    Checked permisions are right.

    Have tried disabling theme and plugins. Tried re-install.

    I can edit previous form fields. But i cannot add more fields to them.

    e.g. if i try to add a drop down it will apear greyed out and un editable.

    Only signifacant change is upgrading to 3.4.2

    Posted 7 years ago on Saturday September 22, 2012 | Permalink
  8. Similar issues to the posters above. Permissions are correct, disabled all other plugins and still receiving error in all browsers.

    Has there been any fix?

    Posted 7 years ago on Saturday September 29, 2012 | Permalink
  9. @ilstech, if you cannot add fields to existing forms, it is normally one of a few things. You did not mention an AJAX error about adding fields. If you have that, chances are, you are running into a memory problem. Please post how much RAM your PHP installation and WordPress have available.

    The other thing to do right off the bat is check for theme and plugin conflicts. You can use these instructions http://rkt.gs/testing

    Sometimes, when you deactivate plugins, you'll be able to add fields to your forms again, and it's not because of an actual conflict with that plugin, but because you freed up memory by deactivating that plugin.

    If your problem occurred right after updating the plugin, use a completely different browser to reload the page to ensure there is no cached JavaScript. Clearing the browser cache will help with this too.

    Posted 7 years ago on Monday October 1, 2012 | Permalink