Forms not emailing notification. One used to. Another never did. Do I need to use the email plugin workaround? How do I configure it?
Discovered that Microsoft is junking the emails (weren't allowing mail.app to receive them off MS server).
Changed the "from" email address in the forms notification areas to one address (versus the email addresses of the individuals filling out the forms). Then I put that new single email address into the "safe senders" list on my hotmail account, but Microsoft doesn't believe me that it is in fact safe and keeps junking them.
This is interesting: I used the same MS email address for the "send to" and "from" fields in the email notification areas. I also used a different "send to" email and "from" email (both MS email addresses) and MS classified everything as junk, even when I placed everything on their "safe senders" list.
I changed the "from" email to an ISP-based email address and MS let it through to my Inbox and my mail.app could then pick it up.
I lost a client because of this MS crap — but at least MicroSoft knows that their email is really junk and that you can't tell them otherwise!
Hope this helps someone in the future.