PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

export entries - encoding issue

  1. Hi
    My form entries are in hebrew, after exporting my entries to a csv file they all show up in gibrish:

    ׳׳•׳ ׳™׳‘׳¨׳¡׳™׳˜׳× ׳‘׳¨-׳׳™׳œ׳Ÿ

    How can the export support the hebrew letters?

    Thanks
    Dan

    Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday July 6, 2010 | Permalink
  2. If I open the exported file in notepad, save it and then open the file in excel - the text comes out correct.
    Is that any help?
    I wouldn't like to tell my client to do this process - i would like him to directly open the excel csv file

    Dan

    Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday July 6, 2010 | Permalink
  3. I found this post on a drupal site - could it help?
    http://drupal.org/node/751670

    Dan

    Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday July 6, 2010 | Permalink
  4. The issue is Excel doesn't know that the file contains unicode characters. One thing to keep in mind is this is a generic text based CSV file. It isn't an Excel specific CSV file.

    Are you double clicking the CSV file and opening it in Excel that way? If so do it another way... use the import wizard in Excel to import the CSV and set it so that it imports as UTF8. You can also use the Import Text wizard, and again select UTF8 as the character set.

    Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday July 6, 2010 | Permalink
  5. All
    Member

    excel 2011 (osx) has an importing issue. Using Numbers or Excel 2010 import then saving the document is a work around for this issue.

    Posted 10 years ago on Wednesday May 16, 2012 | Permalink
  6. Anonymous
    Unregistered

    So, this is a two year old thread, but it is still relevant as importing into Excel 2011 on OSX does not work properly. As you can see from this screen shot, UTF-8 has been selected (I have verified that the exported file is UTF-8 using BBEdit), but letters like ä ö å and é are being replaced.

    As a secondary bug in the exported files, any newlines will cause havoc in Excel.

    See image: http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/6710/skrmavbild20120831kl223.png

    (edited so I could make sure I subscribe to the topic)

    Posted 9 years ago on Friday August 31, 2012 | Permalink
  7. All
    Member

    The work around that i used that works is using numbers until excel is updated in osx to support this properly.

    -open in numbers
    -export as excel
    -open in excel

    works everytime

    Posted 9 years ago on Wednesday September 5, 2012 | Permalink
  8. Anonymous
    Unregistered

    All, yes, that workaround is available. One has to remember though to drag the CSV file into an open Numbers document and not opening it the normal way. It works while waiting for a fix.

    Posted 9 years ago on Wednesday September 5, 2012 | Permalink