PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

French Localization Breaks Form Editing

  1. Hi,

    I'm now running GF 1.5 beta 1.2 on the multi-site I mentioned in my other post (about global variables). I have started a French translation of the plugin using PoEdit. I originally created the .po and .mo file by importing the 1.4.x POT file into PoEdit and starting from scratch. With 1.5, I imported the new 1.5 POT file into the PoEdit project to update the .po file and it imported some new strings. I continued my translation and I'm at about 40% done now.

    The thing is, when GF loads my French translation, everything seems to work well and the elements I have translated show up except that, when I try to edit an existing form or build a new one, key elements of the UI do not show up. Usually when you hover over a form elemet or clicj the Forms Setting link, Edit and delete buttons appear, you can reorder form elements, etc.

    But with my own French .mo file, none of that work. If I remove it, all works as expected. If I put the even more unfinished .mo file that comes in the GF download, the form editing UI works too.

    Any idea what could be wrong with my .mo file created from the provided POT file that could prevent the form editing pages to work properly? Don't see a way to upload files but if needed I'll gladly email them.

    Thanks!

    Stéphane

    Posted 10 years ago on Tuesday December 14, 2010 | Permalink
  2. It could be something to do with how you created your translation file. I have a French Translation file that another user provided. You can download it below. Try this one and let me know if you run into the same issue:

    http://s3.amazonaws.com/gravityforms/languages/gravityforms-fr_FR.zip

    Posted 10 years ago on Tuesday December 14, 2010 | Permalink
  3. That .mo file is the same as the one that is in the download for 1.5 beta 1.2. It doesn't cause the issue described above but is very incomplete and has some weird translations. I'm not sure what POT file it came from as the one that accompanies it in the zip you linked to here is months older and very different from the POT file that actually comes with the 1.5 download (or even the 1.4.5 download).

    I've been trying to make this work as I spent quite a bit of time on it and was about 50% done on my translation.

    Today I even started a new translation project in POEdit and started from scratche testing if everything worked OK. At some point it stops working and I have no idea what caused it to stop. I retraced a few steps and it still wouldn't work.

    Other troubleshooting I did earlier included opening the .po file I created from the .pot file supplied in 1.5 to check if anything obvious jumped at me and saw that each entry had a full path like this:

    #: C:\Users\acancado\Rocketgenius\Sites\wp3\wp-content\plugins\gravityforms\common.php:130

    While the more common format I've seen in .pot and .po files is this (not specific to a user system):

    #: wp-content/plugins/gravityforms/common.php:130

    I did a search and replace and corrected that in a text editor then resaved the .po and .mo files but it still doesn't work. I then tried the same find and replace procedure on the .pot file which has the same path issue and used that to update the project in POEdit but that didn't help either. The issue above is still present.

    I'm at a loss as to what could be the issue.

    Posted 10 years ago on Wednesday December 15, 2010 | Permalink
  4. @webfocusdesign It's going to be something with how you are creating the translation file. They are really touchy. If something is wrong they won't work at all.

    Posted 10 years ago on Wednesday December 15, 2010 | Permalink
  5. Yeah, the thing is, POEdit has never caused me problems with other plugins and I didn't do anything different. I am now using the Codestyling-Localization plugin directly on the site and translating strings when I need to as they appear in English in the site's UI. So far, that has not broken anything yet.

    Codestyling-Localization creates the .po file by scanning the files of the plugin you are translating directly and does not start from a .pot file, so I figure there should be less inconsistencies. Are you certain that the .pot file you provide in the Zip file is up to date with the actual plugin code.

    In any case, I'm a bit frustrated to have to start from scratch but, if I have a working solution, I can live with that.

    Thanks for your help!

    Posted 10 years ago on Wednesday December 15, 2010 | Permalink