PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Horizontal lines going through text in form in IE9

  1. cnymike
    Member

    I designed a site for a client and have viewed the site in multiple browswers and platforms. Yet, the client is reporting an issue with one of the forms on the site... not all the forms, just one of the forms. The form is in a widget sidebar. My client says that the entire form has lines going across the form labels. I can't see the problem since I don't have IE9, only IE10 and I don't see it in IE10.

    On the other hand, my client says another form on the site, which is in a page content area, not a widget area, has no lines going through it and is fine.

    Could someone view the site in IE9 and let me know if you see the problem and if you do, how would I fix that since I can't see it?

    http://www.athomeindependentliving.com/employment/

    Here is the other form that he says is fine.
    http://www.athomeindependentliving.com/contact-us/

    Posted 6 years ago on Friday November 16, 2012 | Permalink
  2. cnymike
    Member

    Here is a screengrab that my client just sent me showing the issue.

    http://www.screencast.com/t/kgjeRrmbfo

    Pretty weird since I don't see this at all on my Macs or PC's using various browsers. How do you fix something that can't be seen?

    Posted 6 years ago on Friday November 16, 2012 | Permalink
  3. Supersally
    Member

    Try this to see it happening. Open the offending page in IE, hit F12 to bring up their Developer tools. In the line that says File Find Disable... There should be something that also says, "Browser Mode" and "Document Mode." Switch the Browser Mode to IE9 and see what happens.

    ETA: I don't see any lines, for what it's worth.

    Posted 6 years ago on Friday November 16, 2012 | Permalink
  4. cnymike
    Member

    Well, you're on to something there because when I did what you suggested, I was finally able to see the lines when I switched to IE7 standards in document mode. Bingo case solved right? I called my client, accused him of using IE7 and he checked. He's using IE9. So I had him check the developer tools and lo and behold, his browser mode was IE9 but his document mode was IE7. When he switched his document mode to IE8 or IE9 the lines went away.

    But the real problem is when he quits the browser and restarts and revisits the page, it reverts back to IE7 standards document mode.

    So what the heck? Is the website doctype sending info to the browser causing it to do this? How to change the Document Mode in the browser to stay out of IE7 standards mode?

    Posted 6 years ago on Friday November 16, 2012 | Permalink
  5. In IE9, I see the background image for the list item, and I see horizontal lines. These items are coming from your theme's stylesheet. Try adding this CSS to override:

    [css]
    body #sidebar .gform_wrapper form li {
      background-image:none!important;
      border-bottom: none!important;
    }

    That took care of the background image and the dashed bottom border in all browsers for me.

    Posted 6 years ago on Saturday November 17, 2012 | Permalink
  6. cnymike
    Member

    That's not it Chris but I do appreciate the effort.

    Here is a link to show what I'm seeing and anyone with IE9 or IE10 using the Tools>F12 Developer Tools should be able to see the same thing as long as you select IE7 standards document mode.

    http://www.screencast.com/t/kgjeRrmbfo

    Posted 6 years ago on Saturday November 17, 2012 | Permalink
  7. Oh. I see. That is a strange 'line-through' thing you have going on there. However, I cannot make that happen no matter what I do when using IE9 and the developer tools.

    Posted 6 years ago on Saturday November 17, 2012 | Permalink
  8. cnymike
    Member

    OK, the cause of the lines has been determined. There was a little snip of code which was at the end of the last paragraph on the page
    <del datetime="2010-11-03T17:48:50+00:00">

    I have no idea where it came from but it was causing the browser, perhaps due to doctype, to mess up what followed on the page thus the lines appearing. I removed that code and everything seems to be fine now which is probably why you did not see the lines no matter what you tried to do.

    This topic can be marked resolved.

    Posted 6 years ago on Monday November 19, 2012 | Permalink
  9. David Peralty
    Administrator

    Glad you were able to sort it out. All my best!

    Posted 6 years ago on Monday November 19, 2012 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.