PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Issue exporting .csv file in Windows 7, Firefox 3.6.13.

1. I tried to export a form's entries in Windows 7, using Firefox 3.6.13. When I did, I saw this screen: http://grab.by/9eyu, which tells me that my .csv will be viewed using Notepad. Trying to open that document results in a jumbled mess; Notepad is not meant for csv files.

Viewing the document in the Firefox Download area, I see that it ends with .csv.txt. If I use Windows Explorer to view the downloaded document, it shows that it ends with .csv, but remember that Windows covers up the extension; that shouldn't be there at all. I am unable to (easily) open the document; it keeps trying to open with Notepad/Wordpad/Word etc.

However, there was no problem with Chrome 9.0.5, Safari 5, or Internet Explorer 8.

Thanks!

Posted 13 years ago on Tuesday March 1, 2011 | Permalink
  2. The file that is created is a .CSV file. FireFox may be trying to rename it. A .CSV file is still simply a text file, so the extension doesn't fully matter. You will most likely take the .CSV file and import it into Excel, another database, etc. anyway. Your computer probably has defaults for what program to open up the document with. But you should be able to use any program that supports .CSV to import it.

Posted 13 years ago on Tuesday March 1, 2011 | Permalink
  3. Thanks for the quick response, Carl. After downloading the file, I tried to 'Open With' the Excel application. All the data appeared in the spreadsheet, but not organized by column/row; it was still one large paragraph. But this does not appear to be an issue with Gravity Forms, but rather with how Firefox is handling the export.

I've filed the issue with Firefox, located here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=638092.

Again, thanks!

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday March 2, 2011 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.