Alright, I finally had time this morning to sift through my theme and see what the problem was.
For anyone else having weird issues I suggest the following steps, which are what I used to narrow down where the problem was, testing after each step.
1. turn off all plugins (except GF obviously)
2. open your page.php file for your theme and remove the <?php get_footer(); ?> line
3. remove the <?php get_sidebar(); ?> line
4. remove the <?php get_header(); ?> line (this is when my forms started working correctly)
If steps 2-4 don't result in your forms working as expected (yes, the page will be broken and ugly) you will need to dig further, but in my case this showed me i had something in my header.php file that was causing the troubles resulting in multiple submissions.
I went to my header.php file and looked it over line by line, removing calls to various scripts like openx, fbml etc etc but nothing changed. I then proceeded to check various additions to the file I had made, it ended up being a addon I made that pulls the first 160 characters from a post and uses it for the meta description tag and my featured post slider. Once I removed that everything worked as should, even the recaptcha that was not working before.
I'm guessing that somehow the fact that it was trying to pull the first 160 characters from a page that didn't have anything on it other than the form was grabbing something it shouldn't have, either way I am all sorted and happy to say I can move on to other things lol.
Posted 9 years ago on Tuesday July 27, 2010 | Permalink